Friday, June 24, 2011

Islamic swimwear

Well I went and bought one. I never had it in my head to buy one but I found a pretty plain one without the douchey attached hijab thing on it. It is basically a long sleeved top and long pants made in swimwear material. They had other ones but they either had too many patterns on it (I wanted the plainest one possible) or an attached hijab. Most of those awful attached hijabs make women look like giant black condoms, hence me going for one without a hijab. That way I can wear whatever hijab I want with it and make it look somewhat normal.

These are some of the attached hijab ones they had (that I passes up on):



I didn't mind the design of the turquoise collared suit but like I said... douchey hijab... no.

Mine is from the Ogival brand. I bought it in Sogo in Malaysia and was actually surprised when I found my size considering Malaysians are quite petite and short compared to Western women (especially the fatties like me). It is an Asian brand that I think is currently only available in Asian stores and I can't seem to find them online, so... yeah.

Here is the design I bought:

It had these weird loops on either side of the pants and I couldn't figure out why at first. Then I realised it is so you can use the ties from your top to connect it to the pants so the top part always stays covering you properly. The top isn't that long (hardly covers the bum) so this is a good feature to ensure it doesn't ride up.


These are the arm designs. They also had it in a bright red/pinky colour but I preferred the darker option. As you can see besides the sleeves, everything else is just plain black. I like how subtle it is... not too in your face like other Islamic swimsuits can be.


The swimsuit it so comfy and stretchy. I don't feel awkward in it at all. It is just so comfy. I think all up it cost me 200 RM which is about $62. That's pretty cheap considering the other Islamic swimsuits I have seen online (especially the ones here in Australia) can be close to $200 and are usually a lot uglier in my opinion (condom head included).

So there you go. I didn't buy much else in Malaysia. I ended up buying only four hijabs (record for me since last time I went overseas I must have spent a couple hundred on hijabs). I mainly spent my dough on cute little dresses for my bubba, a bag and a few little bits and pieces here and there... and that's really about it. I'm not really a shopper by nature.

I don't really go swimming that often but I thought it would be a handy thing to have when I do. Do you have an Islamic swimsuit?

No comments:

Post a Comment